第 31 章
我鼓动了这次会议,和所有英.国女性去反抗。
I would rather be a rebel than a slave.
我宁可成为反.叛.者,也绝不做奴.隶。
6.Scorn
They scorn and mock us because they feel our threat.
他们嘲笑和蔑视我们是因为他们感觉到了我们的威胁。
7.Discern
--Violence doesn\''t discern. It takes the innocent and the guilty. What gives you the right to put that woman’s life at risk?
暴力不可理解。它让无罪也变成了有罪。谁给你的权利去拿那个女人的生命冒险?
8.Riot
-- What gave you the right to stand in the middle of a riot and watch women beaten and do nothing? You’re a hypocrite.
-- I uphold the law.
——那又是谁给你的权利去傻站在□□中间看着妇女被殴打而什么也不做?你个伪君子。
——我维护法律。
9.Surveillance
Here’s the latest from surveillance, sir.
这是监视的最新消息,长官。
10.Surrender
Never surrender. Never give up the fight.
绝不投降。永远不放弃斗争。
11.Cling (过去式和过去分词:clung)
The woman, having discarded all to which she’d formerly clung, cries out, ‘ For what do I go to this far land which no one has ever reached? I am alone. I’m utterly alone.’
那抛弃了她以前所依附的一切的女人,哭喊道:“我为什么要到这个遥远的从没有人来过的大陆?我孑然一身。我太孤独了。”
And reason said to her, ‘ Silence. What do you hear?’
而理性对她说:“请安静。你听见了什么?”
And she said, ‘ I hear the sound of feet. A thousand times, ten thousands and thousands of thousands, and they beat this way.’
她说:“我听到了脚步声。一千次,上万次,百万次…它们朝这边走来了。”
‘They are the feet of those that shall follow you. Lead on.’
“她们是跟随着你的啊。请带路吧。”